Thursday 24 March 2016

Evaluation


Throughout my practice I have been creating a range of prints mainly for interiors. As the last project I wanted to ensure I worked on the faults I’ve had in another projects and establish the style and techniques I am good at and enjoy. At this point in my practice I should know what I’m good at. Looking back at my first blog post I was still unsure but I felt this unit has helped me significantly. I have discovered new ways to create a body of work which makes designing patterns and prints a lot easier.



From the start of the project, I regret that I wasn’t as brave as I was towards the end because I would of got a lot of unique results that reflect the work that I enjoy making. At the start I was using more muted colour schemes and focused a lot more on the motifs. I found that when I came out of my comfort zone and moved away from Photoshop I found techniques that made my practice a lot easier and more enjoyable. When I broadened my techniques, especially by using the inks I found a new colour scheme that really reflected what I enjoy making and how I want to be as a professional, this resulted in a large body of work in comparison to previous projects. In Unit X I can take this new found confidence and reflect it in work.


As I had such a big body of work, looking back I wish I had managed my time better so that I could of explored certain aspects more, as I said previously I developed a new colour scheme from my ink mark making and I enjoyed it so much I think it took up a lot of my time and I didn’t develop my other colour schemes as much. Saying this, the mark makings I did within this colour scheme was some of the best work I think I have created so far and helps me see what kind of work I want to make in Unit X and after university as well.


Although I have done a lot more traditional techniques rather than just the digital techniques I usually do, there needs to be more material investigation in Unit X. I didn’t take my material investigation that far so I need to see how my prints transfer to different materials. Within interiors it’s really important to have good quality materials that fit their purpose as well as the aesthetic so I need to investigate this more in Unit X.



In Unit X, I want to ensure I investigate materials in detail, I already have a body of final prints that I want to develop into a product and make them into a collection of potentially soft furnishings. The final prints I made could potentially reflect my work after university as a professional designer so I want to ensure I show them in the most professional way at my degree show to showcase my own style.