Friday 20 May 2016

Final Cushion 1/5

This is one of my five final cushions, I wanted it to be made before assessment but the other 4 will be made for the degree show. In my previous blog post I stated that when I ordered my fabrics I made a mistake with my sizes as the fabrics were so expensive and it wasn't viable to have my cushions at the price point for that length of fabric. I initially thought that all of my cushions would be a repeat print, but after making a mistake with my fabrics I ended up getting a larger piece with more of a placement print. 

The mistakes I made seemed to end up working out well for me, the cushion turned out to be quite large as I didn't want to lose any of the pattern. Throughout my cushions I am using feather inners as it fits in with my price point, using a polyester filling would ruin the whole aesthetic. I had to source other fabrics for the backing of 4 of my cushions (including this one) but I am very pleased with this. I think if i would of had the pattern of both sides it wouldn't have looked as good. The majority of my patterns are very busy and all feature a lot of colour, to have them fit together may not have worked as well as having a fabric backing. I was slightly worried doing this would make my cushions not put them at the higher price point but the fabrics are all good quality. Whilst I was struggling with my cushion prototypes if I'd used a different fabric backing I think I would have felt better about the process and the photos I took.

Its inspiring to see the final product, before this unit I hadn't experimented much with fabric samples so to see my patterns in a product makes me positive about my future after university. Producing this cushion also shows my improvement in time management skills as I was able to get this one finished before the deadline.  I have also made a good contact with the company that have put together my cushion covers, the service was great quality with a good turnaround time, so after university this contact will be invaluable.