Thursday 19 May 2016

Tie Project

Tie Photoshoot

With one of my prints, I had an idea that it would look good as a tie design, I used the same company that I received my fabric samples from as their fabrics had showcased my colours nicely which my project is all about. I really would like to be versatile with my prints and by creating this tie I thought it would show in my portfolio and unit x project how versatile I am as a designer. 

The issues I had with this were for this printed tie it was £24, the quality of the finish wasn't up to a high standard that I expected for this price point. This has made me realise that for after university, if I wanted to work freelance it would be a good idea to learn how to put together my own products so that I know the finish will be to my standard. Also when it comes to price point if I was paying £24 for the production a tie that needed extra work from an external source the price of the tie would be very expensive. Whereas if I could do the finishes myself I could simply order the fabric in a bigger role to have a bigger profit. 
Tie Photoshoot

This is also an important lesson when it comes to what I produce after university, there are certain times where my work will be in someones else hands, as I can't do everything but I will need to do better research when it comes to the quality of what is being produced. I tried to externally getting the issues with the tie fixed but was told it would need to be hand stitched. To showcase my tie how I thought it should be showcased I did a photoshoot in an office environment. 

Overall the product has taught me a lot because I have said throughout the project I wanted to make my prints versatile so they cross over from furnishings to fashion and this shows me what my pattern could be used for and not just for soft furnishings. I have also solved a lot of problems after the issues I had and in the end managed to have a selection of images to show my print in use.