Friday 13 May 2016

Live Brief Evaluation

As a live brief I worked work with a franchise letting company to create artwork for their office revamp. With the company being a franchise I had a very limited colour palette and theme to work with which turned out to be good practice in comparison to usually having freedom. Initially I had a variety of ideas such as a wall hanging or soft furnishing piece but after a discussion with the company I was told that I would need to fund the project so this hindered me slightly as my unit x project became expensive and it was viable to have the same budget for both projects.
Initial Mood Board
Communication with the company was good throughout which included emails and face to face meetings, this communication was a good confidence builder for after university as I may be again working with other companies in this capacity. The issue I had was that it wasn't always viable to give the customer physical copies of what I wanted to achieve and mostly consisted of digital prints for them to see. In the future if working with a company again I would limit myself to working on smaller, fewer projects at a time especially if I was funding them myself. 

As the budget was a huge factor, I had to scale down some of my ideas and came to the conclusion that working on stationary would be good for the company and the budget. This is also good promotion for not only the company but myself as well, as they would be seen by a lot of people and they could potentially open relationships with other companies. 
 Print Design
My idea was to buy mock notepad and pens that I could use with transparent adhesive paper to show the company what they could potentially look like and this process is very cost effective. I created images on Photoshop of what these could look like so I had various ideas to show the company and proceeded on what they told me they liked. As I had only shown digital mock ups to this point I thought it would be good to show them an actual copy. I had a major issue with the paper and it ended up not working well with an inkjet printer and I couldn't produce any samples that I felt happy with to showcase.
Notebook Concept 

In the timescale given by the company I couldn't fixed this problem in time and couldn't produce any mock ups for them apart from the digital mock ups. I think this could have been an issue for me as the company most likely would have been more excited if they saw what it could look like.

To conclude, the company were happy with the work produced but their circumstances changed but they ended the communication with a possibility of working together in the future which could be useful after university.